5 December 2014

Ho Ho Ho!


December has arrived and with it, Winter. Although you wouldn't think so with the cracking weather that we've been having recently - it has been pretty glorious! Cold, but pretty.
The arrival of Winter means that it's really very nearly Christmas time.
At my family home we absolutely love Christmas, my mum and little brother, Matthew go crazy for it. In fact, today I've had confirmation that they have already got a vast amount of decorations up with Matt taking the lead - think Santa's grotto but with more decorations! 
It's such a special time of year that means many different things to many different people. For me, it's all about family, friends and spending time with the ones you love – and not forgetting bread sauce! Is there anyone who doesn't love bread sauce?! :)

This time of year was definitely special for Beatrix too! And it was in the festive period that she became an author and illustrator. She would frequently design menus and place cards for family meals but it was in 1890 when she began to take it more seriously. With a little push from her brother, Bertram she sold some of her drawings to Hildesheimer & Faulkner, London who used her images in Christmas cards. And rest, as they say, is history!

For all of us working up at Hill Top and at the Beatrix Potter Gallery it's been a busy month since our buildings closed at the end of the season.

Over at Hill Top we've been occupied with checking the inventory against the objects in the house, meticulously working our way through the house room by room checking objects off the list as we go.
Slowly, steadily and with great care we cleaned, checked and covered each object to protect them until it is time to open the house again in 2015.

This was quite full on but I've taken a few snaps to show you some of what we've been up to :)

Martin making friends with Henry!
                         
These are some funny shaped ghosts!

I've decided to go on a completely different tangent for the main part of my blog this month, if truth be known I wasn't really sure what direction to take. Our Marketting and Communications Co-ordinator asked me to give it a festive feel if it was possible and with all our objects put away for Winter I was a bit stuck for ideas.
After thinking about it (for quite a while), my girlfriend gave me a great idea and it seemed like a lot of fun so decided to roll with it :)

I'm assuming that most of you will recognise this traditional festive tune but I have adapted the words a little. 
I hope it will bring a smile to your face and engulf you in festive feelings :) - and I expect you all to sing it aloud!

On the first day of Christmas Beatrix gave to you and me
Hill Top in her legacy


On the second day of Christmas Beatrix gave to you and me
Two egg heads

"What an egg-citing blog post!"

On the third day of Christmas Beatrix gave to you and me
Three Chippendale chairs


On the fourth day of Christmas Beatrix gave to you and me
Four ivory Netsukes

 
 

On the fifth day of Christmas Beatrix gave to you and me
FIVE QUUUUIIIRRRRRRRKKKKY DOLLS

Hill Top © National Trust / Robert Thrift
You know when you have the feeling that someone is watching you?...

On the sixth day of Christmas Beatrix gave to you and me
Six ceramic teapots


Hill Top © National Trust / Robert ThriftHill Top © National Trust / Robert Thrift

On the seventh day of Christmas Beatrix gave to you and me
Seven mystery silhouettes


On the Eighth day of Christmas Beatrix gave to you and me
Eight flowery teacups



On the Ninth day of Christmas Beatrix gave to you and me
Nine Bertram landscapes




   

On the tenth day of Christmas Beatrix gave to you and me
Ten of Rupert's plates



Hill Top © National Trust / Robert Thrift

On the eleventh day of Christmas Beatrix gave to you and me
Eleven ruby glasses


On the twelfth day of Christmas Beatrix gave to you and me
Twelve mini characters



 



Wow! With that little musical delight (I'm using those words VERY loosely!) out in the open I hope you're not judging me too much right now haha.

This festive filled post will more than likely be the last time you'll hear from me for the remainder of 2014 so I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
I hope you all have wonderful Christmases and I shall catch you in 2015! :)


Ta ta for now,


Natalie :)

All the words are mine (and some of the snaps are too) but I've had to borrow a few of the images off our collections website :)